Dona J. Matthews, Ph.D.
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Being Smart about Gifted Education: A Guidebook for Parents and Educators (2nd Edition)
- Arizona Book Award Winner
- Exceptional Education Canada Exceptional Book of the Year
- Helping Kids Handle Horrendous Events in the News
- Troubling Times: How Parents and Teachers Can Help Children Understand and Confront Adversity
Dona Matthews holds an M.Ed. in Counseling Psychology and a Ph.D. in Special Education (Gifted), both from the Ontario Institute for Studies in Education of the University of Toronto. She has been involved in teaching, writing, counseling, consulting, and conducting research on gifted-related issues since 1985.
Dr. Matthews teaches child and adolescent development at the University of Toronto. She was founding director of the Center for Gifted Studies and Education, Hunter College, City University of New York, and has published and presented extensively on gifted education and development. She has worked in many capacities to support high-level development in diverse populations, including doing academic research and publishing; consulting to parent, education, and government organizations; teaching at the University of Toronto, Ryerson Polytechnic University, the University of British Columbia, and Hunter College; initiating and directing an extracurricular program for academically gifted children at the University of Toronto Schools; and conducting a busy private practice doing psychoeducational assessment and counseling.