Iowa Acceleration Scale 3rd Edition, Complete Kit
A Guide for Whole-Grade Acceleration K-8 (3rd Edition, Complete Kit)
The IAS is an objective guide for considering an individual child for academic acceleration. Developed and piloted by the Belin-Blank Center for Gifted Education and Talent Development at the University of Iowa, the IAS ensures that acceleration decisions are systematic, thoughtful, well-reasoned, and defensible. Designed to take personal bias out of the decision-making process when considering a child for whole-grade acceleration, the IAS requires assessment information (test and other data) and utilizes a child-study team format to come to agreement on a series of assessment questions related to the child’s motivation, school attendance, relationships with teachers and peers, and more.
The IAS has been used in all 50 states, Canada, and Australia. Feedback from years of nationwide use has resulted in this revised third edition.
- Overall refined material based on experience and research
- A revised list of required ability and aptitude tests
- A clearer format to make it easier to use
- Clarification of item scores
- Updated research on acceleration
Want to learn more?
Click here to read about state mandates regarding the IAS.
ISBN 10-Digit: 978-IASKIT-330
An exceptional tool for facilitating communication between parents and educators.” – The Davidson Institute for Talent Development
A tremendously helpful guide to parents, teachers, and principals who are trying to weigh all the factors in a decision to accelerate.” – Templeton National Report on Acceleration
The IAS provides those of us concerned with appropriate education for individuals the tool with which to determine the most challenging placement of the student in our educational system.” – Dan G. Holt, Ph.D. for Florida Gifted Network
…provides the kind of evidence that educators can use constructively in decision making.” – Digest of Gifted Research from DukeTIP
- Resource on What Does the Perfect Gifted Program Look Like?
- Resource as mentioned by the Director of Carnegie Melon Institute for Talented Elementary Students
- Resource of the Institute for Research and Policy on Acceleration
- The IAS was the basis for the Guidelines for Developing an Academic Acceleration Policy – 2009 National Work Group on Acceleration
- The Importance of the Iowa Acceleration Scale – article on Examiner.com
- How Grade Skipping Changed Everything – article on Ingeniosus
- 18 Variables to Consider For Whole-Grade Acceleration – article by a Gifted and Talented teacher