Training for SENG Parent Support Groups
The SENG model for parent support groups is described in the book Gifted Parent Groups: The SENG Model. A two-day training workshop builds on that training manual and provides intensive focus on the content and training for facilitators of these groups, as well as opportunities to practice group facilitating skills under supervision. The training workshop involves actually facilitating parent groups, including extensive role play, and culminates in the development of an action plan for establishing SENG model groups in each person’s setting.
SENG Training Workshop Information
SENG discussion group objectives:
- To provide a setting where parents of gifted children can interact with other parents and trained leaders to receive support, guidance, and professional advice
- To develop and enhance parenting skills that nurture the emotional development of gifted children and their families
Who should attend SENG training?
Persons with some prior knowledge of the special needs and characteristics of children with high potential and who desire to facilitate parent groups in an encouraging, non-confrontational style. This might include:
- Coordinators of gifted programs
- Experienced parents
- Social workers
Who sponsors SENG model training?
- Local school districts or in-service committees
- State or area education agencies
- State or local gifted/talented associations
- Local foundations or mental health agencies
- Parent groups or individual participants
For training in the SENG model:
Local sponsors provide:
- Registration of 15 to 25 participants
- A workshop site with tables to accommodate the participants, plus additional rooms for evening support groups
- Parents of gifted and talented children to attend a support group the evening of the first day
- Beverages for breaks and/or a continental breakfast each day
Workshop leaders provide:
- Expertise and experience to train leaders for guided parent support groups
- A packet of training materials for the workshop and for organizing local parent support groups
- Copies of the books A Parent’s Guide to Gifted Children and Gifted Parent Groups: The SENG Model, 2nd Edition for each participant.